When it comes to fats, most of us don’t like to associate that term with positive. But, fat can be good too! Omega-3 Fatty acids are essential fats that we must get from our diets and play important roles in the function of the human body.
It all started a few decades ago when researchers found that fish eating communities had low rates of heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes. So they decided to look into reasons why they were thriving and other areas were dying. And that is where our fascination with omega 3s begins….
In their research, they found that the omega 3s in fish helped keep their optimal heart health while helping with inflammation, a reduction of triglycerides, and blood clotting.
The top benefits found found were:
- Triglycerides: Omega-3s can cause a major reduction in triglycerides, usually in the range of 15–30%
- Blood pressure: Omega-3s can reduce blood pressure levels in people with high blood pressure
- “Good” HDL cholesterol: Omega-3s can raise “good” HDL cholesterol levels
- Blood clots: Omega-3s can keep blood platelets from clumping together. This helps prevent the formation of harmful blood clots
- Plaque: By keeping your arteries smooth and free from damage, omega-3s help prevent the plaque that can restrict and harden your arteries
- Inflammation: Omega-3s reduce the production of some substances released during your body’s inflammatory response
While eating fish is probably the best way to get your Omega 3s, some of The Grove products which contain a high amount of Omega 3s are our smoothies that are avocado based. Avocados contain a high amount of Omega 3s and healthy fats which is why they are known as healthy powerhouses to add to your diet. Other foods that contain a high amount of Omega 3s are:
- Salmon (wild has more omega-3s than farmed)
- Flaxseed and flaxseed oil
- Chia Seeds
- Hemp Seeds
You can check out our smoothie page to see our smoothies with avocados, chia seeds, walnuts, flaxseed, hemp seeds and spirulina: